The Red River Cultural District is seeking applications for an Executive Director to join our team. See below for details on how to apply and qualifications.
Executive Director: The Executive Director acts as the principal officer of the Red River Merchants’ Association DBA the Red River Cultural District (RRCD) and is responsible for the overall administration, financial management, state Cultural District designation and day-to-day activities. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors (Board) and will work with the Board to establish the organization’s future direction.
Skills/Knowledge Required (Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred in the area of marketing, communications, research/ critical analysis, public relations or business management. Strong decision-making and analytical skills are highly desirable.
- Two years proven, successful experience in membership driven organizations, with an emphasis on development, marketing, management or equivalent experience.
- A self-starter with the ability, initiative, and willingness to learn.
- Successful experience in carrying out the mission of the organization. Understanding of business operations, finance and lending experience is helpful.
- Strong verbal, written communication and organizational skills. Prior experience with boards of directors and/or city government is preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships and partnerships with Board, City Hall staff, volunteers, donors, community groups and other agencies. Maintain periodic contact and network with peer level professionals.
- Knowledge of specific computer applications, film, video or other specialized communications techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles, theories, philosophy and techniques of marketing, promoting, and advertising.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of a wide variety of audiovisual equipment, including cameras, projectors, tape recorders, record players and video recorders.
- Skills in making visual presentations.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities (not in hierarchical order)
- Develop and maintain a highly visible role in the community, with an emphasis on key partnerships and relationship building to benefit the RRCD. These might include, but not limited to, new and existing businesses, individual sponsors/donors, corporate and other business support, private foundations, service clubs, etc.
- Designs, implements and maintains, in cooperation with the Board, a comprehensive plan for development/fundraising and revenue generation for the RRCD. This may include, but not limited to an annual campaign for special projects, financial appeals and financial gift solicitation.
- Oversee the administration of a well-managed database for sponsorships and donations for major projects within the RRCD. This will include a strategy for maintaining current records, timely correspondence with the members of RRCD, partners and the community.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Board.
- Oversees all necessary contracts and manages reporting, invoicing and management of all agreements.
- Organize and service the RRCD, through coordination of monthly meetings, committees, bi-annual membership meetings.
- Investigate and develop funding opportunities and other appropriate strategies to enhance the financial viability and stability of the district association.
- Serve as a business liaison with the member businesses and in membership recruitment.
- Securing public/private partnership for collaboration, funding and long term sustainability of the RRCD and businesses which may include MVA-A, Visit Austin, Texas Tourism outlets, live music industry partnerships.
- Prepare and recommend annual plans and operating budgets to the Board for approval. Assure adherence to these plans, maintaining all organizational records, and provide the Board with periodic management reports, operating statements, and cost and program analyses.
District Identity/Marketing (metrics to consider, ticket sales, social media, media hits, partnerships, dollars generate, new collateral)
- Designs, implements and maintains a strategic marketing plan for the RRCD. The Plan would include key community partnerships, relationships with the media, sponsorships, funding strategies, publications and press releases designed to positively promote the RRCD within the community. Including website development and regular social media outlets.
- Will work with partners to develop and maintain the district “brand” that will be uniform and used in collateral materials (printed and other forms), web site, signage and banners and other.
- Researches, organizes and coordinates special events designed to attract consumers to the district, to improve transparency and increase patrons. Including coordinating volunteers or managing staff as needed.
- Content Creation for District-wide Events – SXSW, Hot Summer Nights, Free week, etc.
- Development of storytelling, historic, heritage and cultural tourism opportunities, and collaborations with creative sector entities for district activations
Infrastructure / Enhancements / Preservation
- Build partnerships and explore resources to address safety concerns in the district.
- Explore opportunities for retention of live music venues and businesses in the district.
- Explore parking solutions for patrons and employees in collaboration with applicable partners and the City of Austin.
Policy / City Liaison (metrics to consider, executed policy, programs and projects)
- Represent the District at City Council, in city organized meetings and specific partnership meetings.
- Serve as point of contact for RRCD with City specific projects.
- Work with the City of Austin on sound compliance items.
- Understanding of tourism industry, or specifically the music industry or local Austin context
- Undertake any relevant training and development required to carry out the role and its responsibilities
- Undertake any other task commemorate with this role
- Represent the district in a professional manner
- Use of good judgment
- Provide accurate, effective, timely and comprehensive communications
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employee in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range $80,000-$100,000 commensurate with experience. This is currently a fully remote position with regular in-person commitments in Austin, Texas, specifically in the Red River Cultural District.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, responses to the following questions and three references to email@example.com Please use the cover letter to explain your interest in this position and how you are uniquely qualified for this job. Applications without a cover letter and vision statement/document will not be considered. Deadline to apply is Monday May 8th, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
The Red River Cultural District is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, member companies and partners.
Please submit answers to the following questions along with application:
- Please share your vision for the Red River Cultural District?
- Offer your assessment of the programs and services of our organization?
- Share your personal and professional characteristics and skill sets that would make you the ideal candidate for this position?
- Share what you believe are the largest opportunities and challenges facing the Red River Cultural District?
- Please share how you would demonstrate a commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion in your role as the Executive Director?